What is now Emerson College used to be the Boston Conservatory for Elocution, Oratory, and Dramatic Arts. Charles Wesley Emerson, a preacher, orator, and teacher, opened the school in 1880. In 1890, the school changed to the Emerson School of Oratory until it became Emerson College in 1932.
In Werner's Magazine: A Magazine of Expression, Volume 25. Emerson lectures about four elements of power in oratory.
Another famous orator, Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852), has a well known painting depicted of him in Faneuil Hall titled, Webster Replying to Senator Hayne. Webster's second reply is considered a classic speech and one of the best in United States history.
In 1986, Emerson College established an LA program. In 2014, Emerson opened its permanent Los Angeles Campus in Hollywood.