The Richardsonian Romanesque building that sits on 951/55 Boylston Street has been through a few transformations during its 128 year history. Originally built in 1887 as a police station, it was connected to the fire station on 941 Boylston Street. The fire station still remains, but in 1973, the Institute of Contemporary Art moved into the space and stayed there for 33 years (the ICA has moved 13 times in its history) before moving to its present location in the South Boston Waterfront.
In 2006, the Boston Architectural College bought the building and in 2012 completed its $14 million purchase/renovation project.
Take a look at this slideshow that shows the completed renovated BAC space, as well as old photos of the Back Bay Police Station and the ICA.